Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Taco Calzones

The other night I stopped by the grocery store with about 10 minutes to spare and no idea what I was making for dinner. I kind of wanted pizza, but I also kind of wanted something Mexicanish, and my main goal was to use as few dishes as possible since I wasn't in the mood for a big mess. A recipe on the cover of a magazine inspired me to combine my two cravings and make Taco Calzones. I totally winged it, and I must say, it turned out to be a fairly easy and delicious dish! Plus, you only dirty a pan, a cookie sheet, a spoon, a knife, and a cutting board. It may sound like a lot, but that's a small mess for me. Goal accomplished!


Of course, these can be played with a lot - more of a technique than a firm recipe. I'm envisioning adding black beans in the future, or maybe even a schmear of refried beans. If I want a spicier version, I can see adding some salsa and pepperjack cheese to the mixture. They're just fine as-is, though. Even Gabbie managed to get down about half of one (she's on a non-eating kick these days; the complete opposite of how she was up until a month ago), so that's progress!

Taco Calzones

1 lb ground chuck
1/2 a medium onion, diced (about 1/3 c.)
Taco seasoning
1 c. shredded cheese
1/2 to 1 c. frozen corn kernels
1/4 to 1/2 c. diced tomato
Pizza crust (I used a Pillsbury tube of thin-crust pizza dough, but you can use whatever you like)

Preheat oven according to pizza crust directions.

In a large sautee pan, brown beef. When beef is almost done, add in onion and cook until translucent. Add in taco seasoning according to package directions. Remove from heat and stir in a handful of cheese, corn, and tomato.

Roll out pizza crust and cut it into 6 equal pieces. Add about 1/3 c. filling to the middle of each square, top with additional cheese, fold in half and seal. Bake according to pizza crust directions (mine took about 13 minutes). Serve with sour cream and taco sauce.

2 comments:

  1. Those look so good! I made something similar from a cookbook a while ago using biscuits instead of pizza crust, but I am ALL OVER this idea. I'm a sucker for crispy crust!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails