Thursday, November 5, 2009

Pear Butter

Hey look! I successfully canned something! It's pear butter and it's delicious. I had to do something with the plethora of pears I had from the tree in our backyard, and this just seemed the way to go. It was incredibly easy using the crock pot, and it's so good that Aaron is sad these jars are marked for giving away as Christmas gifts.

Pear Butter
adapted from Tasty Kitchen

6 pounds pears, peeled and chopped into large pieces
½ cups water
3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon orange zest (Don't Omit)
½ teaspoons nutmeg
⅓ cups orange juice (or you can do like I did and just use the juice of the orange you zested)

Combine all ingredients in a crockpot. Stir. Cook on low for four hours. Mash or puree using an immersion blender. Cook on low for four more hours.

Ladle hot butter into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Process for 10 minutes in a canner with the lids.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man. That sounds delicious. And congratulations on your successfull canning! It's something I have yet to attempt, although I used to watch my mom and grandma do it all the time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails