Sunday, October 11, 2009

Tomato Pie



I have been on a pie kick lately. We've been averaging about 2 sweet and/or savory pies a week. Aaron doesn't mind in the least, except for the fact that I make a huge mess when I make a pie crust, so he prefers when I use pre-made crusts. I say that's cheating (unless I'm short on time or have an extra crust in the refrigerator).

This time I used a made my own crust and Aaron didn't complain at all, because his mouth was full for too long eating as much of this pie as he could fit in his stomach. We used a bunch of different heirloom tomatoes for the pie, so it was a beautiful mix of red, green, purple, and yellow tomatoes. This is so good. I promise.

Tomato Pie


1 9-inch pie crust
1/2 red onion, diced
3 large or 6 - 8 smaller tomatoes, about 3 cups, seeded, squeezed to remove excess liquid, and chopped, then drained on paper towels (you want to remove as much liquid as possible)
1/4 cup basil leaves, sliced into thin strips
1 c. mozzarella, shredded
1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 c. mayonnaise
a couple of shakes of hot sauce (I used Frank's Red Hot)
kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prick pie shell all over with a fork and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until very lightly golden brown.

Sprinkle the bottom of the pie crust with the onion. Top with tomatoes. Sprinkle the basil over the tomatoes.

In a medium bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients until well combined. Spread over the top of the other ingredients, making sure it reaches the edges. Place in oven and bake until golden and bubbly, about 35-45 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, what's NOT to like about this? It looks absolutely delicious -- and so pretty, with the multi-colored tomatoes. YUM!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails