Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Cucumber Salad

Growing up summers were spent eating mostly fresh vegetables from my parents’ ½ acre garden. Eating seasonally is not new to me, that is for sure. We would eat whatever we could from the current crops and then freeze or can the rest. Right now is smack dab in the middle of green bean and cucumber season, and so I just froze a huge batch of green beans from my parents’ garden and we’ve been eating cucumber salad like it’s going out of style. I’m going to quick pickle the rest tomorrow, and if they turn out well I’ll definitely share the recipe.

But back to that cucumber salad. This is one of my favorites, and although Aaron gets tired of it after a week or two of having it at every dinner, I don’t think I ever get tired of this salad. It’s quick, easy, crisp, and tangy. Most of all, it’s a delicious way to use up cucumbers when you have so many they’re nearly literally coming out of your ears.

Cucumber Salad

1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced

½ a small onion or one shallot, very thinly sliced

2 Tbsp olive oil

1 ½ Tbsp cider vinegar

2 tsp sugar

salt and pepper

Place the sliced cucumbers and onion in a bowl. Top with remaining ingredients, toss to coat, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. This is even better the next day!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds similar to my grandma's cucumber salad, which she calls "wonderful pickles" for some crazy reason known only to her. It's one of my favorite things to eat in the summertime, for sure. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails