Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mrs. Ca's Favorites

One of my favorite easy snacks is cheese and crackers. I always have a couple of nice cheeses and some fancy crackers around just in case we have company (which happens approximately never, so we just end up eating it ourselves, which is fine too). One time in high school, someone brought in some Boursin Cheese to a potluck lunch in French class, and I became an instant fan.

Then my mother-in-law bought me Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics , and I found a recipe in there for a make-your-own boursin cheese . It is just as delicious as the store-bought version, and seeing as how I like to make things from scratch as much as possible, I kind of like this one even better.

Last spring I was home from work one day and looking for something to eat for lunch, and found the following items in my refrigerator: cheddar cheese, roma tomatoes, half an avocado, and some of the home-made boursin cheese. I also had half a loaf of Italian bread that needed to be used, so I whipped up the following sandwich, and it has been a household favorite ever since.

Jessie's Extra Special Grilled Cheese
For each sandwich you'll need:
2 1/2-inch thick slices italian bread (or the bread of your choice)
a few thin slices of cheddar cheese
1 Tbsp. boursin cheese
2 to 3 slices tomato
3 to 4 slices avocado
butter
Butter one side of each piece of bread. Spread the opposite side of one slice of bread with the boursin cheese. Layer on the avocado and tomato, and top these with the slices of cheddar. Top with the other piece of bread, and place this side down into a hot pan. Cook until the bread is browned and flip. Cook until that side is browned and remove from the pan. Let the sandwich sit for a few minutes (if you can bear it) before slicing in half. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails