Thursday, May 14, 2009

Butternut Squash with Coconut Milk and Curry

There are three things you should know about me:

1) I love Indian food
2) We're trying to eat more vegetarian meals
3) I really, really, really love Indian food

A little while back I got a raise at work and decided that as a raise present to myself I would by Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian to increase my vegetarian recipe repertoire. And boy, has it.

So far our favorite recipe from the book is one, that like many from this book, is incredibly simple and delicious. I actually remembered to take a picture of this one (usually I'm too hungry and remember about the picture thing after I've already tucked in and decide it's too late), but it really isn't a pretty dish no matter how hard you try. The taste, however, more than makes up for the dish's appearance. Here's how we make it:

Butternut Squash with Coconut Milk and Curry

3 Tbsp canola oil
1 to 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into small (1 inch or less) cubes
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 to 2 Tbsp curry (more equals spicier)
1 c. coconut milk
salt and pepper to taste
For serving: basmati rice, naan
Heat a pan with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. When hot, add oil, garlic, ginger and curry powder. Sautee and stir for a minute or two, until garlic is just beginning to color. Add in squash, coconut milk, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove lid and increase heat. Cook five minutes, stirring very little, until squash browns. 
Serve over rice with naan on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails