Monday, June 29, 2009

Monday Meal Planning

Well, the move is done. We’re in our new house, and it’s wonderful. I’m still getting used to the stove (which is probably going to be replaced soon) because it’s old and heats up a lot slower than our last stove, but the kitchen is awesome; so spacious and there’s ton of counter space which will be great for cookies and bread-making. We made sure to unpack the kitchen first so it would be ready for use and we could stop eating out so darn much. Aaron says I’ve completely spoiled him food-wise, and he vastly prefers my home cooking to anything we eat out. The exception is his favorite Mediterranean restaurant, but I can only eat so much falafel and kibee.

If you have been playing along for the past week, you’ll see a lot of the recipes I posted are making it into this meal plan. They’re all delicious, I promise.

The only change I made to this recipe is to fry up some smoked sausage slices, and remove them from the pan before sautéing the onions and garlic. Then I add them back in with the last batch of ingredients and heat the whole thing through. So tasty, and pretty good for you too!

Tuesday: Pasta with Green Garlic Pesto and Grape Tomatoes, Salad, and French Bread
This is a great meal, but don’t eat the pesto if you have to sit close to someone the next day, because you’ll have stinky breath. It’s totally worth it though. Gabbie liked the pesto so much she sucked it off the noodles and then gave the noodles back to us. What kind of a weird kid do I have that doesn’t like noodles?

Wednesday: Sausage and Kale Soup, Salad, French Bread
We got so many salad greens that the new rule is everyone has to eat salad every day. It’s fresh and delicious though, so it’s not too difficult.

Thursday: Fruity Poppy Seed Salad, French Bread
Aaron and I are day-tripping to Ikea on Thursday. We also have a ton of strawberries from the CSA to use, and despite what you may think, there is such a thing as too much strawberry shortcake (just barely though – it’s delicious. I’ll share my shortcake recipe later this week). This is quick and uses the strawberries, so it’s the perfect meal for that day.

Friday: Tomato Sausage Risotto, (and surprise, surprise) Salad, French Bread
This is a great, simple, one-dish meal. It’s set to rain all week, and I love eating comfort foods on rainy days. It also uses up most of the spinach we got this week from the CSA. You can’t say we’re not getting in our greens!

Saturday: Some barbeque of some sort I’m sure. You can’t not barbeque on the 4th. Right?

Our edits to this (delicious!) recipe are as follows. Cut chicken breasts into cubes, salt and pepper them and sauté them until cooked through in a small amount of canola (or other flavorless) oil. We use green beans instead of sugar snap peas, ½ a red pepper, and less oil then the recipe calls for, because a cup sounds excessive. Toss the chicken with the finished noodle dish, and you’ve got your whole meal right there in a bowl.

In other delicious news, there’s likely to be a new Ice Cream Sunday this week (given that I can find my ice cream maker by then), and I have a new recipe I’m dying to try. I’ll let you know!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you linked to your fruity poppy seed salad again. I remember reading about it in an older post and I've been dying to try it. We always have strawberries and mandarin oranges in the house (two of Andrew's favorite things) so it's something I've been dying to make!

    I'm so glad the move went well and that you're getting all settled in!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails