Sunday, April 4, 2010

Secret Ingredient Deviled Eggs

It may be hard for some to believe, but I was thirty years old before I ever ate a deviled egg. Then I had one only because my husband's grandmother insisted. I was prepared to have to choke it down, but instead was surprised to find myself enjoying it. A lot!

I came home and tried to make them myself the following weekend. We ended up throwing away the batch I made (thankfully I had only made a couple!) because they were gross and nothing like the ones that Grandma made. I asked around and tried a few that showed up at potlucks but none were the same. I became convinced that Grandma had some strange recipe, some family secret, and I wasn't looking forward to trying to get it from her - I figured there would be some serious bargaining to make my securing of the recipe possible. 

So, you can imagine my surprise when she handed over the recipe with nary a hesitation. It's a fairly standard recipe with one little tweak that makes all the difference - garlic salt!

So, since I finally got the recipe I was looking for, I think I should share it with all of you.

Secret Ingredient Deviled Eggs

Hard boiled eggs
Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
Yellow mustard
Garlic salt
Ground black pepper

Cut eggs in half, scooping out yolks and placing them in a bowl. Mask yolks well with a fork. Mix in remaining ingredients to taste and blend until mixture is smooth. Place mixture into a plastic baggie and cut off a corner of the bag. Pipe filling into the halved eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails