Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Rhubarb Crisp


A few of my favorite foods are starting to be in season right now. Berries are coming from closer than Chile (don't even get me started on food miles), asparagus is green and fresh and delicious, and the other day at the store, right when you walked in the door, there was a display of beautiful, red rhubarb.

I love rhubarb.

It's a tradition that the first time I see rhubarb at the store in the spring, I buy it and make a rhubarb crisp. It's a delicious tradition.

This year I made a few tweaks to my recipe, and it seems like they were the right tweaks to make. This is, perhaps, the best rhubarb crisp I've ever made. And, so, I feel it's my duty to pass the recipe on so that others can enjoy the yumminess.

Rhubarb Crisp
Adapted from several recipes

4 c. chopped rhubarb
up to 1/2 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. tapioca

1 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, cut into small pieces
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt

Toss together the rhubarb, sugar (to taste depending on the tartness of your rhubarb) and tapioca and put into a buttered 8 x 8 baking dish. Cut together (using a pastry blender, food processor, or with your fingers) the remaining ingredients and spread on top of the rhubarb. Bake, uncovered for 35 minutes at 350 degrees F. 

To make it even more delicious, serve topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that looks SO delicious. I, too, love rhubarb, especially when it is prepared with strawberries. YUM.

    I've started craving all the spring foods too. Last weekend our grocery store had pints of strawberries on sale for $1.00/pint. We bought three and ate them in two days. I love spring!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails