Sunday, June 7, 2009

Ice Cream Sunday!

Aaron's favorite ice cream flavor is mint chocolate chip. I wasn't a big fan before I made this recipe, but as is often the case I liked it more when I made it myself (this has also happened with pancakes, waffles, scrambled eggs, and meat loaf, to name a few). I went through several recipes before choosing my favorite recipes and techniques from each to develop my own recipe. It's so easy to put this together that it's the recipe I make most often. Cool and minty, it's perfect for a hot summer day.

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

2 c. heavy cream
1 c. whole milk
3/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. peppermint extract
4 drops green food coloring (optional, but Aaron insists)
1 c. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a sauce pan over medium heat, combine cream, milk and sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved taking care not to let the milk scorch. Cool this mixture in the refrigerator until about 40 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Add the mint and food coloring to the milk-sugar mixture and freeze the mixture using an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions. Add the chocolate chips during the last five minutes of freezing. Transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for several hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails